Welcome
Welcome to Italian Pottery Marks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today.

Italian Tea Set Identification

A place for you to showcase that special piece or your whole collection

Italian Tea Set Identification

Postby Landon » September 12th, 2010, 7:08 pm

I am trying to identify a tea set that was my great-grandmothers. I have included several pictures of the set. If anyone has any information that can help identify the set please reply. Thanks!

ImageImage
Landon

Re: Italian Tea Set Identification

Postby wdel » September 12th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Firstly, your inquiry should have been posted in the "Identification Help" section. Secondly, your photos were so huge that they would not fit on the screen so I have selected two photos and reduced them in size.

You have a very early set by Bitossi that dates to its earliest years, sometime in the 1920's or early 1930's. Such complete sets are rarely encountered from this period of Bitossi history. I have written an article in this forum about the Bitossi mark and in July of last year I had to amend it. The article includes a photo of a plaque by Bitossi in the Della Robbia style using wreaths of flowers and fruits. I wrote"

"I have discovered evidence that Bitossi did, in fact, create pieces in the Della Robbia style. For the last several days that mark has haunted me and I haven't been able to sleep. Hours and hours of searching my library and the internet has turned up evidence that the piece is probably an early 1920's example from the formative years of the Bitossi factory.
At the Museum of Contemporary Ceramic Art housed in the Palazzo Podestarile in Mestre there is a current 2009 exhibition of the ceramics of Montelupo. The second floor of the exhibition is devoted to the works of Manifattura Bitossi.
Historically linked to the production of Fanciullacci, especially in the production of small devotional images of type "Robbie", but also affected the nearby manufacturing of Signa, this factory was started in the '20s of the last century by a branch of the Bitossi fertile strain, which he came to devote himself since preindustrial manufacture of terracottas fractions Camaiori and Samminiatello."

Your mark fits perfectly with other early Bitossi marks and the above statement concurs with the style depicted in your photo. Here is the link to the article.
bitossi-marks-t19.html

Walter Del Pellegrino
wdel
Site Admin

Return to SHARE YOUR PHOTOS