Welcome
Welcome to Italian Pottery Marks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join our community today.

Florentina

Read articles about the history of Italian ceramics and keep up with the latest events affecting the ceramics industry

Florentina

Postby potit » June 11th, 2017, 12:49 am

I would be interested to find out more about the Florentina firm. I haven't found any information on the internet, yet the firm seems to have been fairly productive. Attached are images of a large hand-made jug I recently acquired here in Australia. The old pre-decimal price sticker gives a clue to its age: decimal currency was introduced in Australia in 1966.ImageImage
potit

Re: Florentina

Postby wdel » June 11th, 2017, 8:42 am

I know of a “Florentia” that was active from the early 1900’s to the mid 1920’s. It is quite possible that the Florentia mentioned on your pitcher was an exporter rather than a manufacturer. In any case I have no record of this firm beyond the early 20th century. I love the care and quality with with the piece was made. The design is a 1960’s modernized version of the Occhio-di-Penne-di-Pavone (Eye of the Peacock Feather). The original 1500’s pattern was revised in the first half of the 20th century and used particularly by the artist of Faenza.
Walter Del Pellegrino
wdel
Site Admin

Return to HISTORIES, NEWS, DISCUSSIONS